Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Little Lady

My biggest little girl turned seven today!  She's not a baby, not a toddler, preschooler, or kindergartner anymore. She's a little lady.  On Sunday, she was feeling under the weather for her birthday party. That night I gave her a tepid bath to help bring her fever down and afterwards she fell asleep on the couch. her wavy hair was pulled back loosely in a bun and when I looked at her sleeping, for a moment my breath caught because she just looked so peaceful and beautiful.  The worried little frown and tired eyes she'd been wearing all day had melted away into the serenity of sleep.  My heart just spilled over with the love I felt for her in that moment, just watching her rest. It is one of those moments that will forever be etched on my heart.

It took me back to a night in her babyhood. After midnight, I rocked her in her darkened room after she had awakened for a feeding.  I remember her tiny little splayed hand in mine, a little star.  That moment is frozen in time for me too, I will not ever forget it.  I thought about all of my hopes and dreams for her that night. Prayed that we would both have the strength to bear the disappointments of life and hoped that I could somehow shield her from any hurt. We all know that can't be.  No matter how hard we try to keep them safe, showered with unconditional love, and protected, we cannot keep them from making their own way in this imperfect world of ours and, thus, they are left open to disillusionment and pain.

Still, there is so much to be happy about: So many wonderful, fun memories over the last seven years. She has given me infinite reasons to be amazed. I have witnessed her being the best big sister. I have marveled at her ability to make a friend anywhere she goes (like her dad!). I have swelled with pride reading things that she has written and been flabbergasted by her creativity. She has her moments, like any kid does, but for the most part, she blows me away with her beauty--inside and out. 
I'm being awfully sentimental about my baby girl today...








...but today, of all days, I need no excuse to do it!

HAPPY  BIRTHDAY, JORDAN!



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails