Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Good Steward

First off, I'm trying to be a "good" blogger and post more often than once a week. But I also need to use my time more wisely than I do.  I have a heavily scheduled life right now, so there aren't many down time minutes to spare.  Which is fine...I think I need to be a little more regimented so that I can get things done...

So, we are going to move, the kids started school and dance, Girl Scout Daisy troop will be meeting soon, family stuff is being planned (annual pumpkin patch trip, chili party), Parties will be attended, Church groups and functions are starting to go full swing, Jim is working like crazy--and so am I, There are upcoming doctor's appointments on my mind--so with all this stuff happening I get kind of scattered thinking about and answering e-mails and remembering to keep Jim informed about what is going on here, there, and everywhere. I try to keep a main calender where I put everything that needs to be remembered i.e. If Jordan wants to pack today, How much do I weigh, Farm pick up day, Jim works OT, Book club, Send snack for preschool...everything. I'm sure many of you have a similar calender or some such organizational tool.  Still some stuff gets forgotten.

This week. I am focusing on being a good steward of time and resources. Well, I'm starting kind of small...With regards to time, I am using my phone's timer to allot 15 minute increments to get things done. So many times when I am working on something (especially blog, e-mail, or other online adventures) time gets away from me. For example, as I shuffle through the paper clutter amassed in my mail slots I stop and ponder some child's artwork, or page through a catalog and before you know it an hour has passed. 

With regards to resources, I'm focusing on electricity and money.  Every time I think about it I run around the house and shut off lights and electronics that have been mindlessly left on as we wander from room to room from activity to activity.

In the money category, I am focusing on giving up eating out.  This means planning meals that I will make even when I don't feel like cooking.  I read a little blurb a few weeks ago--don't remember where, sorry-- that said (I'm paraphrasing) that when at the grocery store, never feel bad about spending money on a quality ingredient, or splurging on a craving, because eating a home is ALWAYS less expensive than eating the same thing at a restaurant. So basically, if you want it at the grocery store, and it's gonna stop you from eating out one meal, than you should get it.  I like this way of thinking.  And I'm scared to add up what we've spent (and wasted) at restaurants over the last year, but I KNOW that this little piece of advice is true.

Being less wasteful, means being more mindful.  Being a Good Steward means living honestly with yourself, dealing honestly with others, and carefully and mindfully using time, talent, and treasure. And so that's what I am trying to do  this week. No doubt, things need to become more efficient around here...so when the timer goes off it's on to the next thing and I will turn off and unplug as I go!

1 Reader Remarks:

Jess L said...

We usually order pizza every friday to the tune of almost $40 bucks. It's amazing how much pizza these kids can put away. So, I decided that $120 a month on pizza is freaking ridiculous!!
I'm going to make it myself from now on.
If only I could get frank to build me a pizza oven in my kitchen although I can wait until we move.
It does suck to have to cook when you don't want to, I've been making things on Sunday afternoons (it's easier in fall and winter) and freezing them so that I can pull them out and pop them in the oven. It saves a lot of time and energy.

Post a Comment

Gimme some sugar! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails