Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolutions: Take 33

Some years I make resolutions. Some years I do not. Other years I make resolutions but I call them something else. This is one of those years. This year I'm calling my resolutions list a "re-focusing".  It's a list of things that I was doing that I want to get back to, and a list of things that I want to do better, and a list of things I want to try. 

I broke my list down into a bunch of categories and I have multiple goals for each category: Family, Couple, Personal, Home, Finances, and Writing. The categories are pretty self explanatory. I'm only going to share a few of my goals, one because the list is long, two because some of the goals are private, and three because I don't want to bore anyone.

As an aside, I compiled the list while I was tromping on the treadmill. I hate multi-tasking, well not multi-tasking per say, because I would be a failure of a mom if I couldn't multi-task...but I just hate the word. It was such a buzz word after I graduated from college and it seemed like every resume highlighted the fact that you could multi-task and every job was expecting you to really be great at doing a million things at once. But do we really need to be doing a million things at one time? And how could one person seriously be great at EVERYTHING when their full focus isn't really on ANYTHING?  When I am multi-tasking at home (read: running the washing machine, while dinner is cooking, and I'm feeding the baby, and Jordan is at the table asking questions about homework, and my cell phone rings, and the television is on, and Livi is singing at the top of her lungs, and Ava is rough housing with the dog) sometimes I feel like my head is going to explode!

Today was one of those days too...My alarm didn't go off this morning for the second day in a row, so I had 10 minutes at best to get Jordan up, dressed, fed, and bundled for the bus. Then I turned around and woke Ava, got her fed, picked out her clothes, pumped for the baby, fed the baby, got Livi up, drove Ava to school, came home, organized myself for Daisies later this afternoon, showered (with Livi), got dressed, packed 3 different bags, fed the dog and let him out,  put the dog away, picked up Ava from preschool, headed to my mom's, fed the baby, fed myself, went to JoAnn' to pick up supplies for Daisies while my mom fed the girls, came back to my mom's, took the girls to Olivia's dance class, breathed for one minute. Then we went to the school for the Daisy meeting, came home, let the dog out, fed the baby, pumped, got Jordan started on homework, started dinner. I talked to Jim on the cell, ate dinner (fed the baby again). I straightened up. I threw a load of laundry in. I helped Jordan finish Homework. Straightened some more. Danced around the kitchen for a minute. Sent Jordan to the shower. Got everyone in PJ's. Got everyone a bedtime snack. Fed the baby. Sent everyone to bed (teeth brushed, prayers, and tucked). Let the Dog out. Folded Laundry. And Now I'm sitting down to blog...randomly blog apparently.

Head spinning yet?  This isn't a typical day, but it is my typical every other Wednesday.  Every other Wednesday is exhausting!!! So pardon me, while I unwind in a rambling blog post that was supposed to be about Resolutions and has turned into a little breather for me...as writing my blog should be!

Oh, and for the curious, I'll throw in a couple of my re-focusings for the New Year:
Plan a family fun day 1-2 times per month.
Plan a date night 2 times per month.
Pray morning, night, and whenever I think of it throughout the day.
Exercise 5 times per week.
Pay for home projects with cash, which means saving up for them before they start.
Keep house tidy with the help of Flylady techniques.
Blog 3-4 times per week.

Have you made resolutions this year? Have you taken a minute to re-focus?  Do share!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails